English: Iljumun, or "One Pillar Gate" is the first gate, called this because when the gate viewed from the side it appears to be supported by a single pillar. This symbolizes the one true path of enlightenment which supports the world.
English: English: Beomeosa's second gate, Cheonwangmun, or Gate of the Four Heavenly Kings was originally built in 1699 and houses the four kings or divas guarding the entrance of the temple.
English: Beomeosa's third gate, Burimun, or Gate of Non-Duality was originally built in 1699, but was rebuilt during the Late Chosun Period. This is the final gate before entering the main temple compound symbolizing the concept that the realm of the Budda and this world are the same.
English: Jijangjeon, the Hall to Ksitigarbha, was originally built in 1613 and rebuiult in 1891. The hall burned down in 1988 and was rebuilt in 1990.
Dokseongjeon, Nahanjeon and PalsangjeonEdit
English: Sallyeonggak is the shrine dedicated to the Mountain Spirit. Inside is the portrait of the Mountain Spirit depicted as an old man with a mountain tiger.
English: Simgeomdang, used as a meditation room
Pagodas, stupas and stelesEdit
Read in another language
This page is available in 8 languages