Last modified on 24 August 2014, at 22:11

Borovsk

Эта страница на русском: Боровск


Object location 55° 12′ 27.19″ N, 36° 29′ 05.05″ E View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth info

Borovsk, a town established in 1358, stands between Moscow and Kaluga. Current population is estimated at around 12 thousand.

SymbolsEdit

In 1610 a small company of soldiers led by prince Mikhailo Volkonsky, defended Borovsk from the Polish gangs of False Dmitriy II. The loyalists took their last stand in the Pafnutyev Monastery. According to the legend, Volkonsky (already wounded) was killed by Poles right inside the cathedral. The towns' coat of arms, granted by Catherine II in 1777, commemorates this episode. The heart charged with a cross is a symbol of purity in spirit.

GeographyEdit

Protva RiverEdit

Borovsk was founded on the steep right bank of the Protva River. The town developed primarily to the south of the old citadel. Isolated suburbs (slobodas) developed to the west (across the Tekizha Creek Ravine) and to the north and east, across the Protva.

Tekizhe CreekEdit

The small Tekizhe Creek flows into the Protva east of the old town, in a grand natural ravine. It forms the natural border of the city core, separating it from the eastern suburb.

Hills and valleysEdit

Borovsk CitadelEdit

No traces of ancient fortresses survived to date. The old Kremlin Hill is scarcely built out, and most of these small buildings are occupied by the town hall and district court.

Main SquareEdit

Lenin Square, the former Market Square, stands immediately south-west of Kremlin Hill. To date, the square remains the shopping center of the town - there are no modern "shopping plazas" or big label supermarkets. The Square is also home to local museum and library. There are monuments to Lenin, philosopher Nikolay Fyodorov and a small World War Two memorial cemetery.

Streets of the core town (west to east)Edit

Western suburbEdit

Southern suburbEdit

Eastern suburbEdit

Northern suburbEdit

ArchitectureEdit

ChurchesEdit

Historically, Borovsk was a town of die-hard Old Believers.

Pafnutyev MonasteryEdit

MuseumsEdit

Brick architectureEdit

Wooden housesEdit

Typical small single-family homesEdit

Larger wooden houses on brick basementsEdit

Carved wooden windowsEdit

MuralsEdit

Borovsk has more murals than Belfast. Almost all of these murals were created in the 2000s by local artist Vladimir Ovchinnikov (http://vladiov.narod.ru/), mostly in grisaille. Freedom of panorama prohibits hosting of his artwork per se, but hopefully these examples pass de minimis exemption:

Nearby villagesEdit

KrasnoyeEdit

SovyakiEdit

RoshchaEdit

RyabushkiEdit

RusinovoEdit