Last modified on 11 October 2014, at 20:32

Category:Arch Street Friends Meeting House

The Arch Street Meeting House on Arch Street at 4th Street in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia is the largest Quaker meeting House in the city and the second oldest. It was built in 1803-05 on land donated by William Penn in 1693 and originally used as a burial ground; the building was later expanded in 1810-11 The main building has a central portion which contains two rooms, and has two wings; the center and east wing were designed by Owen Biddle. Additions to the complex were made in 1968, designed by Cope & Lippincott. {Sources: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.) and Architecture in Philadelphia: A Guide)