Last modified on 28 April 2013, at 20:49

Category:Astor Library

English: At the suggestion of bibliographer Joseph Cogswell, American merchant John Jacob Astor left $400,000 for founding The Astor Library. This provision was carried out by his son William Backhouse Astor, and Cogswell was its first librarian and personally purchased much of its initial collection. Its building, located on Lafayette Street (Lafayette Place when the library was built) in New York City, was constructed between 1849 and 1881: the south wing (1849-1853) was designed by Alexander Saeltzer, the center section (1856-1869) by Griffith Thomas, the north wing (1879-1881) by Thomas Stent. The conversion into the Joseph Papp Public Theatre occured in 1967-1976, designed by Giorgio Cavaglieri. Betweentimes the building housed the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society. The style is Rundbogenstil, a German version of Romanesque Revival. The building was designated a NYC landmark in 1965. (Sources: AIA Guide to NYC {4th ed.), NYC Landmarks (4th ed.) and History of the New York Public Library (1923))

Subcategories

This category has only the following subcategory.

C

Media in category "Astor Library"

The following 26 files are in this category, out of 26 total.