Last modified on 4 January 2014, at 17:15

Category:Colonial Germantown Historic District

English: The Colonial Germantown Historic District — in the Germantown district of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
  • A National Register of Historic Places listed historic district since 1966.
  • The Colonial Germantown Historic District runs along Germantown Avenue between Windrim Avenue and Upsal Street (4500 to 6500 blocks); and was expanded with the 6500–7600 blocks of Germantown Avenue from the Fort Washington branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad to Sharpnack Street in the Germantown and Mount Airy neighborhoods of Philadelphia. Roughly 600 buildings are in the district, which runs about 3.6 miles along Germantown Avenue. It must be one of the largest Historic Districts on the NRHP, as well as one of the longest and narrowest.
  • The Battle of Germantown was fought in the district in 1777. The first abolition petition was signed here. Also, the first bible printed in America in a European language (German) was printed here.
Object location 40° 02′ 11″ N, 75° 10′ 29″ W View this and other nearby images on: OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth - Proximityrama info


Subcategories

This category has the following 7 subcategories, out of 7 total.

Media in category "Colonial Germantown Historic District"

The following 86 files are in this category, out of 86 total.