Last modified on 15 March 2014, at 09:13

Category:Empress Place Building

The former Empress Place Building (now the Asian Civilisations Museum) at 1 Empress Place, Singapore 179555, was designed by Major John Frederick Adolphus McNair of the Public Works Department. The central portion of the building, constructed between 1864 and 1865, is the oldest and was used as a courthouse. Following Queen Victoria's adoption of the title of Empress of India on 1 May 1876, the term "Empress Place" began to be used. Subsequently, new wings were added to the building, which were occupied by various government departments. The Legislative Council also occupied an upper room in the central building at one stage. Between 1989 and 1995 it housed the Empress Place Museum, and on 2003 it reopened as the Asian Civilisations Museum. The building was gazetted as a national monument on 14 February 1992.

Place in this category files that focus on the building, such as photographs of architectural features and the outside of the building.


  • Place files focusing on the work of the Asian Civilisations Museum, such as photographs of its interior showing exhibitions, galleries, and so on, in "Category:Asian Civilisations Museum".

Subcategories

This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.

Pages in category "Empress Place Building"

This category contains only the following page.

Media in category "Empress Place Building"

The following 35 files are in this category, out of 35 total.