Last modified on 1 November 2013, at 11:37
English: The Hermes was an iron full-rigged ship built in 1875 by Palmers & Co., Newcastle, named: Hurunui, for New Zealand Shipping Co., London. Her dimensions were length × beam × depth: 204.1 × 34.2 × 20 ft (62.2 × 10.4 × 6.1 m) and she had a tonnage of 1053 GRT, 1012 NRT, and 885 tons under deck. She was a sistership to the same owner's Waipa and named after the 145 km long river in North Canterbury, NZ, which flows into Pegasus Bay about 80 km NE of Christchurch. 1883 she collided with the same owner's Waitara and sank in the English Channel off the Bill of Portland and was again raised and repaired. 1895 the Hurunui was sold G.A. Lindblom, Åbo, Finland, and was renamed Hermes. In 1915 she was torpedoed by a German submarine off St Catherine's Point, Isle of Wight, in the English Channel, some 25 miles from Calais.
- Hurunui (1875 – 1895)
- Hermes (1895 – 1915)
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Hurunui (ship, 1875) (1 C, 6 F)