Category:Light Vessel No.1 (ship, 1855)

ShipEdit

  • Type:
  • Material: Wood - white & live oak; copper & iron fastened
  • Design by:
  • Order date:
  • Built by: Navy Yard, Kittery (ME)
  • Yard No:
  • Keel laid:
  • Launch date:
  • Date of completion: 1855
  • Length over all: m
  • LPP: 31.4 m
  • Beam: 7.3 m
  • Draught: 3.8 m
  • GRT: 275
  • DWT: 228
  • NET:
  • Sail area: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts
  • Main engine:
  • Speed: kn
  • TEU:
  • Reefer points:

HistoryEdit

  • 1855 Named: LIGHT VESSEL No. 1 Flag: United States
  • 01.1856 Placed on Nantucket New South Shoal station. During heavy gales, parted chain and went adrift 12 times while on Nantucket station, being off station for periods up to 20 days before working back under sail or being towed.
  • 1860 Rebuilt
  • 1881 Main anchor replaced with mushroom
  • 1883 Slipped chain and worked under sail to avoid foundering during storm
  • 1886 Lighthouse Board authorized casting an "ordinary" (stockless) mushroom anchor
  • 1887 Picked up crew of foundered British steamer CALEDONIA. Accommodated for 12 days until taken off by tender
  • 14.06.1892 Relieved by LV 9 Boiler, steam pump, steam windlass, 12" steam fog whistle installed
  • 14.11.1892 Towed to Martins Industry, Charleston (SC) by AZALEA
  • 1894 Parted chain and adrift twice during hurricanes, boats and davits carried away both times
  • 1895 Rebuilt
  • 11.11.1896 Located at Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
  • 1896-1907 Broke adrift on 5 occasions during the period
  • 1902 Rebuilt
  • 1910 Submarine bell signal installed
  • 1911 Located at Martins industry (SC)
  • 1915 Steam fog signal replaced with oil engine, compressor, and air siren
  • 1919 Equipped with radio, discontinued 1923
  • l922 Located at Savannah (GA)
  • 1925 Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene; light from fixed to flashing
  • 1930 Retired from lightship duty and donated to Sea Scouts. Towed to Haverhill. Later taken over by Groveton MA Sea Scouts; moved vicinity of Groveton Bridge over Merrimac River.
  • 1936 Carried downriver in flood, going aground on north bank opposite Henderson Farm. Stripped and abandoned; hull still remains 1986

Media in category "Light Vessel No.1 (ship, 1855)"

The following 2 files are in this category, out of 2 total.

Last modified on 9 July 2011, at 21:00