Last modified on 4 January 2012, at 12:51
English: The "Moravian" was built by R.Steele & Co, Greenock in 1864 for the Allan Line. This was a 2,481 gross ton ship, length 320.9ft x beam 39.5ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (barquentine rigged for sails), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Accommodation was provided for 80-1st and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 5/7/1864, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Portland on 10/11/1864. On 11/5/1865, she commenced her first voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal, and in 1875 was rebuilt to 3,323 tons, 389.3ft in length and compound engines fitted by Laird Bros, Birkenhead. On 19/11/1874 she resumed sailing from Liverpool to Portland and on 7/12/1881 left Liverpool and was wrecked near Cape Sable on 30/12/1881 with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.311].