Last modified on 7 October 2013, at 19:53

Category:North Adams Public Library

English: The Public Library in North Adams, Massachusetts is located at 74 Church Street on the corner of Main Street. The wood-framed brick-faced building was constructed from 1865-67 as a dwelling for Sanford Blackinton, owner of the Blackinton Company woolen mills, and was designed by Marcus Fayette Cummings. Blackinton resided there until his death in 1885, and his wife Eliza until her death in 1896.

The town's library had been established in 1884, and in 1896 the first mayor of North Adams, A.C. Houghton, bought the building for the town to house its collection. Architect Edwin Thayer Barlow supervised the conversion. The library was expanded in the mid-1990s with a two-story addition in the rear. The library was converted to a "green" building in 2005. (Sources: "North Adams Public Library: Our History" and "Green Building Case Studies: North Adams Public Library")

Media in category "North Adams Public Library"

The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.