The German ironclad Prinz Adalbert was originally ordered at Bordeaux as a warship for the Confederate Navy. In an effort to avoid the French policy of neutrality, a cover story was invented, giving the ship an identity as a vessels built for Egypt under the name Cheops. It was the second of two identical ships, the first one ending up as the Japanese Adzuma. In 1865 it was bought by Preussia and became the Prinz Adalbert. It was completed in 1866. The ship suffered from poor building quality and was disarmed in 1875 and sold in 1878.
Read in another language
This page is available in 6 languages