Last modified on 20 October 2013, at 19:15

Category:Tan Kim Seng Fountain

Tan Kim Seng Fountain in Esplanade Park, Connaught Drive, Singapore, was designed by Andrew Handyside and Company Britannia Iron Works in Derby, England, and constructed in 1882. Made of cast iron, it was commissioned by the Municipal Council to commemorate the contributions of Peranakan merchant and philanthropist Tan Kim Seng (1805–1864), which included donations towards Singapore's first public waterworks and Tan Tock Seng Hospital. The fountain was unveiled by the President of the Municipality, Sir Thomas Scott, in Fullerton Square on . It was moved to Battery Road in 1905, and to its present location in 1925.

The lower bowl of the fountain bears statues of four Muses: Calliope, the Muse of epic poetry (holding a writing tablet); Clio, the Muse of history (holding a scroll); Erato, the Muse of love poetry (holding a cithara); and Melpomene, the Muse of tragedy (holding a garland).

The fountain was gazetted as a national monument together with the Cenotaph and Lim Bo Seng Memorial on .

Media in category "Tan Kim Seng Fountain"

The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.