Category:The Albert (Manhattan)

The Albert began with three row houses at 32-36 East 11th Street, off of University Place were turned into the St. Stephen Hotel in 1876-77 to designs by designed by James Irving Howard. The owner, Albert S. Rosenbaum, then commissioned noted architect Henry J. Hardenbergh to build 24 "French flats" (luxury apartments) between the hotel and University Place. Completed in 1883, the were converted into the Hotel Albert in 1886-87. An additional story was added in 1891, and the two hotels merged in the mid-1890s. In 1903-04, a 12 story building was added to the south at 67 University Place, designed by Buchman & Fox, and in 1922-24 a six story building on the corner at 23 East 10th Street, designed by William L. Bottomley and Sugarman, Hess & Berger, while the St. Stephen was given an entirely new facade in the 1920s, and let go for commercial lease. In 1977 the entire complex, including the St. Stephen, was converted to rental apartments as The Albert. It was then converted to a co-operative in 1984. The building was listed on the NRHP in 2012. (Sources: Hotel Albert History and NRHP registration form)

Media in category "The Albert (Manhattan)"

The following 3 files are in this category, out of 3 total.

Last modified on 15 March 2013, at 22:47