(formerly known as the Cathay Building
) at 2 Handy Road, Singapore 229233, was designed by Frank W. Brewer and constructed in 1937 to house the Cathay cinema. At 79.5 metres the building, which has an Art Deco
facade, was the first skyscraper in Singapore and was the tallest building in Southeast Asia
. It was also the first public building in Singapore to be air-conditioned. During the Japanese occupation of Singapore
the building housed the Japanese Broadcasting and Military Propaganda departments and the Military Information Bureau. After World War II
Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten
used the building as his headquarters. The building was returned to its original owners in November 1946. The present building, designed by Paul Tange, was built in 2001. It was gazetted as a national monument
on 10 February 2003.