Last modified on 2 January 2012, at 22:32
English: The Vernon was originally built as a 911-ton paddle steamer in 1839 by Green`s Blackwall Yard, London, for the Green Blackwall Line. The external side paddles were removed after only a short period of use as her engines proved uneconomic. As a sailing vessel, she typified one of the earliest examples of the three- masted Blackwall frigates. From 1867, the Vernon was a reformatory and naval training ship for the „Society for the Relief of Destitute Children“ in NSW (Australia) and based in Sydney Harbour. In 1892 the Vernon was replaced by the Sobraon which was nearly three times its size. The Vernon was sold, and burnt in Kerosene Bay in 1897.