Washington Irving Campus, formerly Washington Irving High School, at 40 Irving Place between East 16th and 17th Streets in Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1913 and was designed by C.B.J. Snyder; an extension on 16th Street was designed by Walter C. Martin and built in 1938. The 1885 bust of Washington Irving – who never lived on Irving Place, although he did visit a nephew there – is by Friedrich Baer.
The high school began as Girls' Technical High School, a branch of Wadleigh High School, and the first school for girls in the city. In 1913 the name changed to Washington Irving. Many years later the school became co-ed. It moved to its current location from Lafayette Street in 1913. As of 2012, the building is shared by the High School for Language and Diplomacy, Gramercy Arts High School, the Academy for Software Engineering and Washington Irving High School, which is scheduled to be closed by 2015.
Media in category "Washington Irving High School (New York City)"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.