|The 18th century Załuski Library was considered to be the first Polish public library and one of the largest libraries in the contemporary world. The library had about 400,000 printed items, maps and manuscripts by the end of the 1780s. In 1794 Russian troops plundered the library and took its collection to St. Petersburg. In the 1920s the Soviet Union government returned around 50,000 items from the collection to Poland, yet it was destroyed by the Germans during the Planned destruction of Warsaw in October 1944.|
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Breviarium (burned in 1944) (4 F)
Media in category "Załuski Library"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
Read in another language
This page is available in 6 languages