Category talk:Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor

Return to "Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor" page.

The Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor, dedicated on 30 May 1949 at Fort Knox KY, closed permanently on 6 September 2010. The museum, which contains the material history of the U.S. Army's Armor Branch, has been moved to Fort Benning GA as a result of the Base Realignment and Closure Act passed by the U.S. Congress in 2005. In order to more fully describe its mission, the museum has been re-named the National Armor and Cavalry Museum. It will reopen at Fort Benning GA once a dedicated museum building has been constructed. A small part of the collection, dealing with the life of GEN George S. Patton Jr., has been transferred to a newly formed museum which will open sometime in the spring of 2011 as the General George Patton Museum of Leadership. That museum has no connection with either the original Patton Museum nor with the Armor Branch (or any combat branch of the U.S. Army). It will be administered by the U.S. Army Accessions Command at Fort Knox (The Human Resourses Center of Excellence)

Last modified on 15 February 2011, at 17:53