- oppose Two reasons:
- "Vehicles of" vs "Vehicles in" is a concise and a distinct difference between the two groups we need to distinguish. This isn't broken, so we don't need to mess with it.
- This isn't a US issue. If discussed at all, it needs to be at the top level of the category hierarchy. Such as Category_talk:Vehicles_by_country, where this came up years ago.
- In addition, "registered in" would be largely unworkable, as we know where photos were taken, we can find out where they were manufactured, but their registration is mostly going to remain both a mystery to us, and largely unmportant. Andy Dingley (talk) 22:04, 19 February 2013 (UTC)
- Support the rename :) no need to forcefully hassle constructive changes, which are what Wiki is about. Most of us will be delighted to finally be able to tell the difference between a list of vehicles in use in China AKA Category:Vehicles in China and a list of vehicles manufactured in China AKA Category:Vehicles built in China; "Vehicles of" leaves just the same good old ambiguousity - fantastically reflected by the present-day chaotic mess of cross-classifications across the various vehicles-by-country cats. Orrlingtalk 22:56, 19 February 2013 (UTC)
- Generally, categories named by the pattern "vehicles of" can be kept as parent categories of specific country-related subcategories ("vehicles manufactured in", "vehicles photographed/operated in", "vehicles registered in", "vehicles owned in" etc.). In some cases where the distinguishing would be not applicated (not all types of vehicles require all variants), the "of" preposition is most appropriate to cover all mentioned types of relation together. We should focus to create more specific subcategories and sort the content, not to remove the unspecific categories too rashly. --ŠJů (talk) 15:05, 7 April 2013 (UTC)
It became even more simple when I examined it experimentally over in the past couple of days. “Vehicles in XXX” is and remains a main parent for each country resident of Vehicles by country, with a subgroup “Vehicles made in XXX” - or “built in XXX” - assembling local brands or produces of the given country, not limited to place of depiction. Any file in the “Vehicles in” cat which is not in the “built in” sub-folder is essentially just any vehicle depicted in that country, e.g in the course of actual use in the particular country (such as “rolling stock of Egypt” or “Fire engines of New Zealand”) or anyhow photographed in it. By this constructive pattern, this image for instance, which is in a subcategory of Vehicles built in France, is coexistently also placed at Automobiles in Portugal. Meantime, we keep getting rid of “Vehicles of”-occurrences, converting them into either of the above forms (ideally keeping the emptied pages as redirs to respective Vehicles-in's). Orrlingtalk 02:50, 13 October 2013 (UTC)