This project page in other languages:
العربية | Alemannisch | asturianu | català | čeština | Deutsch | English | español | فارسی | français | galego | italiano | 日本語 | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | magyar | македонски | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk bokmål | occitan | polski | português | română | русский | slovenščina | shqip | suomi | svenska | Türkçe | 中文（简体） | 中文（繁體） | +/−
When you want to add an image to Wikipedia or donate it to our collection, you have to upload it to our site and give us some information about the image. Here's how:
Before you begin
- You need to have the image file you want to upload on your computer.
- You need an account on Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons to upload files.
What can I upload?
Understand what kinds of uploads Wikimedia Commons can accept.
Images that you upload to Wikimedia Commons have to be educational and freely licensed.
- We can accept images that you created entirely by yourself. Examples »
- We can't accept images created or inspired by others, without their permission.
- We can accept images that depict someone, something, or some idea (for an educational purpose, like use in Wikipedia)
- We can't accept personal photos and we're not a web hosting service. Learn more »
Uploading an image
To upload files to Wikimedia Commons, use the Upload Wizard.
- Getting started
- Go to the Upload Wizard on Wikimedia Commons. You can always get to it from the Upload file link in the menu on the left.
- Use the illustration on the first page to understand whether Wikimedia Commons can accept your upload.
- When you're ready to upload, click near the bottom of the page.
- Click and find the image or images you want to upload on your computer.
- Licensing your file
- Click More information » and select the options that apply to your upload, as prompted. When you're done, click .
- Organizing and describing your upload
- Enter a title for the image. Use plain, descriptive language. Then enter a description of the image and the date it was created.
- Help organize Wikimedia Commons by adding your file to applicable categories. When you're done, click .
After this, your upload will be published and complete.
Wikimedia Commons pages:
|Ways to get help|