There are freely licensed media resources (also public domain) that can be used as sources for file upload at Wikimedia Commons. However never blindly upload everything from these pages. Please always double check if the media is really freely licensed and if it is useful for Wikimedia Commons projects. Thus it is required to act according to the following points.
Before you upload in the Commons any media from these sources:
- Check if it is already available in the Wikimedia Commons - See the search page.
- Check if the media has a free licence that can be used in the Wikimedia Commons - See license requirements and useable licences.
- Never forget to include a good description, credit to the author, source and the right license tag (and justify, e.g. with a quote, why this license tag is right) - See project scope.
Please don't data dump
- Not all resources are useful for Wikimedia projects. Examples of non-useful resources include: images without informational value (party pictures, minor artwork without informational purpose), very old media which may have errors of fact, content from biased points of view. See project scope.
Before you add a source link
- Check if the website with the link has a fair amount of free licenced content with a useable licence.
- Place the links in the proper sub page.