The default tool, accessible from the « Upload a file » link in the left menu.
Possible customisation: default license in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-uploads
An advanced tool that allows GLAMs to automatically upload large batches of digital versions of their collections.
Standalone desktop applicationsEdit
Commonist is a Java program for easy upload of larger numbers of images to Wikimedia Commons and other MediaWiki installations.
- http://neonstau.de/commonist/ — download page (no download necessary with Java Web Start installed)
- Information and discussion
VicuñaUploader is a free tool written in Java designed to upload files to Wikimedia Commons and other Wikimedia projects. It is a bit similar to Commonist but has some more functionality and different user interface.
ComeOn! is a free tool written in Java to upload pictures to Wikimedia Commons with extended support for JPEG metadata and its use in page templates. It is currently in beta mode but stable.
Image software extensionEdit
A plugin for Adobe Lightroom that lets you export files to MediaWiki. Currently in beta state.
- Further information: Wikimedia Mobile Projects
Upload to Commons with AndroidEdit
A free Android app is available for uploading images directly from the mobile phone to Commons. (Android 2.3+ operating system required). The tool can be found at the Market. You may adapt it for your own purposes using the GNU source code from github.
Upload to Commons with iPhoneEdit
Uploading from FlickrEdit
There are various tools to help upload files from Flickr.
- Flickr2Commons - Tool to easily upload single and multiple files from Flickr to Commons. This tool uses OAuth to upload files to Commons. See Special:OAuthListConsumers/view/74a4d433d0ab9f9fad720e1c4eb8159a for version 1.0, use Special:OAuthManageMyGrants to manage connected apps.
- F2ComButton - A tool which adds buttons to Flickr to easily upload images yourself or using Magnus's tool.
- Flinfo - For people who want to upload Flickr pictures by themselves.
- Upload Wizard - If you are an administrator or image reviewer, you can import images and photosets from Flickr via the Upload Wizard.
This page will generate code that you can copy and paste when moving an image from a Wikipedia to Commons. Note that you still need to verify the source and only transfer images that have reasonable licenses. You also still need to give the image a category, although the assistant is hooked up to CommonSense, so it can suggest them at the same time. Developed by User:Magnus Manske.
Upload by URLEdit
User's with the
upload_by_url right (Image reviewers, Admins, GWToolset users), can directly transfer images from another website (If it is on the whitelist) via the API or via Special:Upload. With the Upload Wizard it is possible to upload files from Flickr.
IA-upload is available for everyone (uses OAuth). You can select any Internet Archive free book, the description is prefilled and you are given a chance to edit it before upload.
If the desired book is not yet on Internet Archive, you can use BUB (Book Uploader Bot) to request its addition from another source. The job is entirely automatical, accepts requests for multiple books at once and can notify by email when the book is ready, with a link to ia-upload to complete the transfer.
For comprehensive help on how to use the Internet Archive for Wikisource and other Wikimedia activities, refer to s:en:Help:DjVu files#The Internet Archive.