Hello! Thank you for adding that picture of Sweet Tea to the Sweet Tea article. It looks pretty darn delicious. My only gripe is the flash reflection on the glossy paint behind the glass. Perhaps if you have time you could re-take the photo without flash, or against a non-reflective background? If you don't have time that is certainly ok as this pictures is better than no picture! Anyway, thanks for your work! --MaxPower 14:35, 21 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Zan, can you nominate Elaine's picture for a featured picture? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it and I'm afraid that if I try, I'll mess up the voting page. --JennaMarie83 21:46, 9 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Thanks for the highres Bukhara Emir picture! David.Monniaux 07:46, 11 Apr 2005 (UTC)
Votre proposition de vote pour l’image  me fait réellement plaisir et m’encourage vraiment à publier mes photographies dans Commons. Malheureusement je ne possède plus le format original 2272x1704 de cette image. En effet habitué à insérer mes images dans des articles WIKIPEDIA (fr, en, nl et wa) et poussé à réduire le format de mes images à 120 Ko maximum par l’administrateur du site wa, j’ai réduit le format de cette image et je l’ai malheureusement sauvegardée sous ce format sans garder une copie de la photographie originale. Votre message aura eu le grand mérite d’attirer mon attention sur le problème de qualité maximum des photographies à envoyer et je ne manquerai pas de suivre vos conseils. Pourriez-vous me dire quel est le format idéal ?
Merci d’avance et à bientôt sur le net j’espère !
JPGrandmont 14:19, 16 Apr 2005 (UTC)
The Way of TeaEdit
Et ca , ca marche ou pas ?Edit
Image:Asian child.JPG, dans l' ideal de restreindre l' usage a wikipedia. N'y a-t-il pas une license : Utilisation restreinte aux wikipedias ou Utilisation internet restreinte aux wikipedias ou Utilisation restreinte a un but encyclopedique ou educatif ? Yug 08:32, 17 May 2005 (UTC)
Oh yes! I´d got bigger resolution pictures, of course. But, I just do it as the spanish wikipedia suggest about picture´s size. I didn´t know commons rules, I´m sorry. (Excuse my english)--Eleagnus 21:36, 22 May 2005 (UTC)
Murcia's Comarcas ImageEdit
I've just seen the advise about the lack of copyright information of this image. I'm sorry but this is my first image uploaded. I have modified the image  with the Gimp. I do not really know where to put the licensing information, if you could help me (Sorry for my bad English, I just woke up). --Charlitos 05:49, 25 May 2005 (UTC)
Bilingual Signage DeletionEdit
I don't get why the image  is violating copyright. I contacted the webmaster- as you can read - who affirmed that we could use it. If that doesn't count as free license then what does? Please explain. --Chlämens 15:35, 26 May 2005 (UTC)
- I'll be glad to explain. The webmaster released the image as free for non commercial use ("I can confirm that the photos of bilingual signage are free of restriction for non-commercial use. Geraint Jennings, Maître-pêtre des Pages Jèrriaises")
- diff. However, images released under such a licence are specifically banned from the commons. Unfree Copyrights. I'm sorry that this is the case, but you do have some possible recourse.
- You can ask the webmaster to release the image under a Free licence. If you're going to be sending it to a French-speaker, here are some form letters for you. If it's going to be in English, you might want to try :here. Remember, the main point is that the image has to be released under a free licence. Good luck. (Please re-tag the image for deletion if this doesn't work, but I suspect that it will work). --Zantastik 04:02, 6 October 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for your noteEdit
I appreciate your note and turn to you for some advice. The original FPpost I made has turned into utter chaos. The latest event is that somebody has gone in and edited My work and posted his work on my nomination section. I am totally confused as to what's allowed, how you put up upgraded pictures, who controls or supervises... I am totally lost.
Any advise you could give or sources you could suggest would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks again. John (comment by User:JohnKolter 6 octobre 2006 à 01:57)
- I can understand your confusion as to how things are done here, especially concerning modifications made to your work. I'll be glad to try to clear these matters up. First off, in terms of others editing someone else's work, well, here on the Commons and on Wikipedia this is not only allowed but encouraged. (See the policy here) If there is a consensus that the modified version serves Wikipedia or the Commons' mission better, than this is the one that is used. However, the original is always conserved -- your original image is still there, alongside several derivative works (This is how free licences work). As far as the Featured Picture process goes, well, it works like this: When someone proposes an image, that image can be accepted or rejected, based on a vote. However, someone can also edit the image and propose new versions of it -- on the same vote page -- for Featured Picture status. So essentially, everything is going normally -- this is how these processes work. As for who controls and supervises, there are Administrators who are called in when there are protracted disputes, but essentially, things are run by, community consensus and according to Commons policies.
- Remember that the purpose of the Commons is to create a content library. As the page explaining the project scope explains, "the work is important; not personal egos." But while that's true, you can always take pride in knowing that regardless of how a photo is cropped or otherwise modified, you were the photographer, and without you, there wound simply be no great picture of Van Gogh's last view available on the internet under a free licence (and I think it's a good shot too:) ) Hope this helps! --Zantastik 04:20, 6 October 2006 (UTC) (P.S. Please sign your posts by placing the following chracters at the end of them: --~~~~)
|Image deletion warning||Image:Prokudin-Gorskii-19-v2.png has been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether it should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at its entry.
If you created this image, please note that the fact that it has been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with it, such as a copyright issue. If the file is up for deletion because it has been superseded by a superior derivative of your work, consider the notion that although the file may be deleted, your hard work (which we all greatly appreciate) lives on in the new file.
DaB. 01:32, 20 December 2006 (UTC) .
Commons Picture of the Year 2006 CompetitionEdit
|Interested in honouring the best of the best? Vote now in the
Commons Picture of the Year competition 2006
Voting to select the finalists is open until 14th February.
The arrangements for the Commons Picture of the Year 2006 competition are now complete, and voting will start tomorrow, Feb 1st. All Featured Pictures promoted last year are automatically nominated. As a past contributor to Featured Pictures, we invite you to participate in the competition (but please wait until tomorrow to vote). --MichaelMaggs 22:06, 31 January 2007 (UTC)
|Image deletion warning||All your images with regognisable people have been listed at Commons:Deletion requests so that the community can discuss whether they should be kept or not. We would appreciate it if you could go to voice your opinion about this at their entry.
If you created these images, please note that the fact that they have been proposed for deletion does not necessarily mean that we do not value your kind contribution. It simply means that one person believes that there is some specific problem with them, such as a copyright issue.
Tip: Categorizing imagesEdit
Thanks a lot for contributing to the Wikimedia Commons! Here's a tip to make your uploads more useful: Why not add some categories to describe them? This will help more people to find and use them.
1) If you're using the UploadWizard, you can add categories to each file when you describe it. Just click "more options" for the file and add the categories which make sense:
2) You can also pick the file from your list of uploads, edit the file description page, and manually add the category code at the end of the page.
- [[Category:Category name]]
For example, if you are uploading a diagram showing the orbits of comets, you add the following code:
- [[Category:Astronomical diagrams]]
When picking categories, try to choose a specific category ("Astronomical diagrams") over a generic one ("Illustrations"). Pro-tip: The CommonSense tool can help you find the best category for your image.
BotMultichillT 06:35, 2 April 2009 (UTC)
- Image:Jellyfish in the Montery Bay Aquarium 01.jpg is uncategorized since 1 April 2009.
- Image:Essaim d'abeilles posé.JPG was uncategorized on 6 September 2009.
|File:St Stephens church Westbourne Green London-01.jpg has been marked as a possible copyright violation. Wikimedia Commons only accepts free content—that is, images and other media files that can be used by anyone, for any purpose. Traditional copyright law does not grant these freedoms, and unless noted otherwise, everything you find on the web is copyrighted and not permitted here. For details on what is acceptable, please read Commons:Licensing. You may find Commons:Copyright rules useful. You can ask questions about Commons policies in Commons:Help desk.
Wikimedia Commons takes copyright violations very seriously and persistent violators will be blocked from editing.
Your account will be renamedEdit
00:23, 18 March 2015 (UTC)