The 145-mile long Alatna River flows south-east to Koyukuk River at Allakaket, Kanuti Flats. Koyukan Indian name was reported in 1885 by Lieutenant Allen (1887, p. 98), USA, as "Allenkakat," or "mouth of the Allen." Ii is not known if this was an attempt by Allen to commemorate himself, or whether it was an unintentional corruption of "Allakaket," or "mouth of Ala," latter is true, as all English speakers corrupted "Allakaket" to "Allenkaket" because the pronunciation was easier. Was updated in 1899 by F. C. Schrader and T. G. Gerdine, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), however, the old name "Allenkakat River" was used in 1886 by Lieutenant Stoney on his fieldsheet (1900, map), U.S. Navy (USN); "Al-lash-ook" in 1885 by Lieutenant Cantwell, U.S. Revenue-Cutter Service (USRCS); "Ah-lash-ok" by Healy (Healy, 1887, p. 39). The W. C. Mendenhall and D. L. Reaburn's 1901 U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) expedition showed the "Alatna" and "Alasuk," which since 1885 had been represented as different streams, to be the same. Thus Alatna came to be the most commonly accepted name (USGS).