Open main menu

Category:Armory (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)

The Armory of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, located at 505 East Armory Avenue in Champaign, Urbana, was built in 1912-1914 and was designed by William Carbys Zimmerman, the Illinois state architect. It replaced the Military Drill Hall, which is now the Kenney Gym Annex. At the time of its completion it was considered to be the largest structure in the world without a center support. The 98-foot high ceiling, supported by 36-ton three-hinged arches, covers 80,000 square feet of floor space (200'x400'). A multi-story addition with classroom space was built around the original building in 1927, designed by Charles Platt in the Georgian Revival style. The track and floor were renovated in 2003. The Armory is used for the offices for several University departments, as classroom space, for ROTC programs, and by the track team. (sources: [1] and [2])

Media in category "Armory (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)"

The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.