Category:Army Flag Streamer Set
- 3. ARMY FLAG STREAMER SET. A streamer for each campaign in which Army organizations participated is displayed on the Army flag. There are currently 178 streamers displayed on the Army flag. Units, which received campaign credit participation for these campaigns, may display a three-foot streamer without dates on their organizational flag.
- a. Revolutionary War. There were 16 campaigns in the revolutionary war. The revolutionary war streamer is scarlet with a white center stripe with golden yellow inscription. Scarlet is the color of the mother country and the white stripe symbolizes the virgin land of the new country separated from its former sovereign by force of arms.
- b. War of 1812. There were 6 campaigns in the war of 1812. The streamer is scarlet with two white stripes with the following inscriptions in yellow. Scarlet is again used to symbolize the former mother country and the two white stripes symbolize our second successful defense of our homeland against the same enemy in the preceding conflict.
- c. Mexican War. There were 10 campaigns in the Mexican War. The streamers are green with a white center stripe. The color green is one of the colors associated with ancient Mexico and the colors green and white appear in the present Mexican tricolor flag. The white center stripe also represents the United States flag.
- d. Civil War. There were 25 campaigns in the Civil War. The streamers are equally divided with blue and gray. Units that received campaign credit as a confederate unit use the same ribbon with the colors reversed. Blue refers to Federal Service and gray is indicative of the Confederacy, joined together they represent the unification of the country after the Civil War.
- e. Indian Campaign. There were 14 Indian Campaigns that covered the period 1790 to 1891. The streamer is red with two black stripes. Red is a sacred color with all Indians and is usually considered symbolic of strength and success. The color red, symbolic of war, is also a symbol of day and the Sun god. The color black, symbolic of death and mourning, is also a symbol of night and the Underworld god.
- f. Spanish American War. There were three campaigns during the Spanish American war in 1898. The Spanish Campaign ribbon is yellow with two blue stripes. The color yellow was suggested by the field of the Spanish flag. The two blue stripes of the streamer refer to the Atlantic Ocean (Caribbean Sea) and the Pacific Ocean (Philippine Sea). The three yellow portions of the ribbon allude to Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippine Islands, the areas of the conflict. The following inscriptions in scarlet are authorized on the streamers.
- g. China Relief Expedition. There were three campaigns during the Boxer Revolt in China during 1900. The China Relief Expedition streamer is yellow with a narrow blue stripe on each side. The color yellow was restricted for use only by the Manchu rulers of China during the Ts'ing dynasty (1644-1911). The color blue is emblematic of the east and of the blue dragon depicted on the yellow imperial and other Manchu standards.
- h. Philippine Campaign. There were 11 campaigns during the Philippine Insurrection between 1899 and 1913. The Philippine Campaign ribbon is blue with two red stripes. The colors blue and red were suggested by the field of the Philippine flag. The two red stripes of the ribbon refer to the Filipino insurrectionists and the United States Army. The blue indicates service overseas and also as our national color alludes to the United States support of Filipino independence.
- i. Mexican Service. There was 1 campaign for Mexican Border Service during the period 1916 - 1917. The streamer is yellow with a blue center stripe and a narrow green stripe on each edge. The colors green and yellow are associated with the Aztecs of ancient Mexico. The Aztec standard carried at the battle of Otumba in 1520 consisted of a gold sun surrounded by the green plumes of the quetzal. The blue, our national color, alludes to the United States Army and also refers to the Rio Grande River which separates in part Mexico from the United States.
- j. World War I. There were 13 campaigns for World War I during the period 1917-1918. The streamer is the World War I Victory Medal ribbon which had a red center with a rainbow on each side of the center stripe and a purple edge. The double rainbow symbolizes the dawn of a new era and the calm which follows the storm.
- k. World War II:
- American Campaign. The Army only displays one campaign streamer to reflect the American Campaign because Army units did not participate in combat within the American Campaign. The streamer is light blue with a narrow blue, white and red stripe in the center and a narrow white, red, black and white stripe on each side. The blue represents the Americas and the white and black refers to the German part of the conflict while the red and white refers to the Japanese part of the conflict on the Pacific coast.
- Asiatic Pacific Theater. There were 21 campaigns in the Asiatic Pacific Theater. The Asiatic Pacific Campaign streamer is yellow with a narrow blue, white and red center stripe and a narrow white, red and white stripe on each side. The yellow color represents Asia; the blue, white, and red stripes taken from the American Defense Medal refer to the continuance of American Defense after Pearl Harbor. The red and white stripes are the Japanese colors.
- European-African-Middle Eastern (EAME) Theater. There were 16 campaigns in the EAME Theater. The EAME streamer is green with a brown stripe on each edge. The center has a narrow blue, white and red stripe. On the upper portion is a narrow white and red stripe with a narrow white, black and white stripe on the lower portion. The brown color is representative of the sands of Africa and the green color for the green fields of Europe. The central blue, white, and red stripes taken from the American Defense Medal ribbon refers to the continuance of American Defense after Pearl Harbor. Green, white, and red are the Italian colors, and the white and black colors refer to Germany.
- n.Korean Service. There were 10 campaigns for Korean service during the period 1950 - 1953. The Korean Service streamer is light blue with a white center stripe and a narrow white stripe on each edge. The medium blue and white are the colors of the United Nations referring to the UN mission.
- o.Vietnam Service. There were 17 campaigns for Vietnam service during the period 1962 - 1973. The Vietnam Service streamer is yellow with three red stripes through the center. It has a green stripe on each side. The yellow with red stripes was suggested by the flag of the Republic of Vietnam. The green alludes to the jungle.
- p.Armed Forces Expeditionary Missions. There are three expeditionary missions which use the Armed Forces Expeditionary ribbon to reflect campaign credit. The Armed Forces Expeditionary streamer is light blue with a narrow blue, white and red stripe in the center. On each edge is a narrow green, yellow, red, and black stripe. The colors red, white and blue refer to the United States while the light blue suggests water and overseas service. The stripes of brown, black, green and yellow are indicative of the various areas of the world where the Armed Forces of the United States might be called upon to serve.
- q.Southwest Asia Service. There were three campaigns for the Southwest Asia War. The streamer is tan with a black border and center stripe. On each side of the black center is a green stripe. A grouping of red, white, and blue stripes are centered on each side. The sand colored ribbon with red, white, blue, green, and black stripes represent the desert and the colors of the United States and the coalition members.
- r.Kosovo Campaign. The streamer has five stripes (red, blue, white, red and blue. The inscription is yellow.
- s.Afghanistan Campaign*. The streamer has thirteen stripes (emerald, scarlet, black, white, scarlet, white, old glory blue, white, scarlet, white, black, scarlet and emerald). The inscription is yellow.
- t.Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Campaign. The streamer has fifteen stripes (bluebird, old glory blue, white, old glory blue, bluebird, golden yellow, bluebird, scarlet, bluebird, golden yellow, bluebird, old glory blue, white, old glory blue and bluebird). The inscription is yellow.
- u.Iraq Campaign. The streamer has eleven stripes (scarlet, white, green, white, black, chamois, black, white, green, white and scarlet). The inscription is red.
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.