Category:Arranmore (ship, 1893)
English: The fully rigged ship Arranmore built in Glasgow in 1893 for Thompson, Dickie & Co. (Maiden City Line). She was built of steel without an engine other than a boiler to run steam driven winches. 1903 wrecked at Algoa Bay, ashore for five months then towed 6,800 miles to the Clyde. In 1910 she was sold to H. Fölsch & Co. (Hamburg, Germany) and renamed the Waltraute. 1913 dismasted and became Hamburg Seaman’s Mission and later German naval submarine crew’s rest ship. In 1914 a boiler/generator and electric lights were fitted as well as two extra decks provided from cargo hold areas. In 1920 she was surrendered at the end of WW1, the British Shipping Federation acquired her and was again renamed this time as the Vindicatrix (1923). In 1939 as the dark clouds of WWII loomed she was towed to Sharpness on the River Severn and commissioned as the National Sea Training School for merchant seamen (as hulk). Scrapped 1967.
- Arranmore (1893-1910)
- Waltraute (1910-1923)
- Vindicatrix (1923-1967)
Media in category "Arranmore (ship, 1893)"
The following 2 files are in this category, out of 2 total.
- Arranmore (ship, 1893) - SLV H99.220-87.jpg 2,265 × 1,377; 2.06 MB