English: Aspatria is a town in Cumbria, England, and lies half way between Maryport and Wigton, on the A596. It is about away from the coast. The church of St Kentigern's is the site of some pre-Norman stone crosses. The name "Aspatria" is Roman in origin and derives from the Latin Asp meaning a serpent and atrium meaning a clearing, so a literal translation could be "the clearing of the serpent" When the first Christians arrived in the town, they were quick to adopt the Roman legend, incorporating it to suit their own beliefs. St George was adopted as the patron saint of the town and a statue depicting the Christian Saint slaying a vile serpent (seen as the symbol of Roman pagan gods) can still be seen in the centre of the town.
Polski: Aspatria - miasto w Wielkiej Brytanii, w Anglii, w regionie North West England, w hrabstwie Cumbria. W 2001r. miasto to zamieszkiwało 3 266 osób.
Română: Aspatria este un oraş în comitatul Cumbria, regiunea North West England, Anglia. Oraşul se află în districtul Allerdale.
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Media in category "Aspatria"
The following 78 files are in this category, out of 78 total.
- Boer War Memorial Tablet.jpg 531 KB
- Brayton 1980.jpg 100 KB
- Brayton Hall circa 1920.jpg 106 KB
- Field Archery in Aspatria.jpg 2.87 MB
- Grave Stone Memorial.JPG 4.71 MB
- Gun Club circa 1905.jpg 783 KB
- Mary Lawson circa 1900.jpg 178 KB
- Sir John Randles.jpg 859 KB
- The Brayton Blazers.jpg 531 KB
- The Dinning Hall.jpg 354 KB
- The Lecture Theatre.jpg 429 KB
- William Wilson Academic.jpg 498 KB