Category:BM76 Vigilance (ship, 1926)
|Built by||J W Upham, Brixham United Kingdom|
|Length overall||34.1 m (37.3 yd)|
|Beam||6 m (19.8 ft)|
|Draft||2.5 m (101.9 ″)|
- 1926 Named: VIGILANCE for the Foster brothers and skippered by George Foster.
- 1938 Out of business due to the fall in fish landings and the loss of uninsured gear.
- During World War II she was used as a naval kite balloon mooring vessel.
- 1949 Sold for conversion to a yacht based at Shoreham. Her new owner lost his life overboard on another yacht and the vessel caught fire on the day of his cremation. As a wreck, she served as a pontoon and storeroom at Shoreham.
- Sold to an Australian who jury rigged her and took her to Littlehampton.
- 1955 Sold to Ken Harris for £80. Rebuilt and re-planked upwards from 7 strakes above the keel. Most of the frames were renewed and topsides re-planked. Deck beams, deck, deck house, skylights and bitts are all new. Ken Harris handmade 1.5 tons of iron fastenings. The lower sections of both masts had been destroyed in the fire and so a landing light post from an aerodrome was acquired and scarfed to make new bottom sections. The topmast comes from a Thames barge.
- 1983 An all woman crew sailed in the 1983 Cutty Sark Tall Ships race
- 1986 Carried a school expedition to Norway's Lofoten Islands, 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle.
- 1997 Sold to a group and taken back to Brixham.
- National Register of Historic Vessels, certificate No. 741
|Instance of||Brixham trawler|
|Location of final assembly|
|Heritage designation|| |
|Service entry|| |
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Vigilance at Tonnerres de Brest 2012 (9 F)
Media in category "BM76 Vigilance (ship, 1926)"
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.
- BM76 VIGILANCE at Brixham - geograph.org.uk - 1250499.jpg 640 × 480; 56 KB
- Brixham - The Vigilance - geograph.org.uk - 1419573.jpg 640 × 426; 68 KB
- Brixham harbour (cropped).jpg 1,089 × 817; 252 KB
- Brixham Harbour (cropped).jpg 1,075 × 806; 218 KB
- Brixham harbour at night - geograph.org.uk - 1420640.jpg 640 × 426; 60 KB
- Brixham Harbour.jpg 1,280 × 960; 352 KB
- Brixham harbour.jpg 1,280 × 960; 351 KB
- Brixham marina - geograph.org.uk - 1295505.jpg 640 × 480; 60 KB