The Bene Israel (Hebrew: בני ישראל, "Sons of Israel", Marathi: बेने इस्राएल) are a group of Jews who migrated in the nineteenth century from west Maharashtra to the nearby Indian cities, primarily Mumbai, but also to Pune, Ahmedabad, and Karachi (Karachi later became a part of Pakistan). Prior to these waves of emigrations and to this day, the Bene Israel formed the largest sector of the subcontinent's Jewish population, and constitute the bulk of those sometimes referred to as en:Pakistani Jews. The native language of the Bene Israel is en:Judæo-Marathi, a form of Marathi. Most Bene Israel have now emigrated to Israel.
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
- ► Keneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue (8 F)
- ► Magen Abraham Synagogue (4 F)
- ► Synagogues in Mumbai (1 C, 4 F)
- ► The Daily Prayers translated from Hebrew to Marathi (1 P, 776 F)
Media in category "Bene Israel"
The following 13 files are in this category, out of 13 total.
- 120 Bombay 1890.png
- Bene Israel Teachers (...
- Bene israel-cimetiere...
- Bene Israels (97277998...
- Brockhaus and Efron Je...
- Jewish community Madhu...
- Jews 1490.png
- KITLV 87160 - Johnson...
- Maharashtra-Raigad and...