The Central Fire Station at 62 Hill Street, Singapore 179367, designed by William Ferguson and built between 1908 and 1909, is the oldest extant fire station in Singapore. It had living quarters for professionally trained firefighters, and garages for motorized fire engines which were beginning to replace horse-drawn carriages. The central watchtower was used to look out for fires, as well as for drying hoses. The building was twice extended, in 1926 and in the 1950s. It is still in use as a fire station, and also houses the Civil Defence Heritage Gallery.