Category:Chapel and Hermitage of Saint Raymond and Our Lady of Good Help
The "Chapel and Hermitage of Saint Raymond and Our Lady of Good Help" (also known locally as "St. Raymond's Chapel" and "Brother Bruno's Chapel" (a nickname derived from long time pastor Rev. Basil Bruno)) was a Roman Catholic religious building on the 3100 block of Melpomene Street (later Martin Luther King Avenue) at Josephine & Derbigny, in the Central City section of New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
Founded in 1903 by Bellito Biaggio "Basil" Bruno and his mother Anna Pizzo Bruno, immigrants from Contessa Entellina, Sicily. The Bruno family ran several small corner grocery stores in the area and were a very religious family. Basil Bruno longed to be a priest and dedicate his life to Christ, though when his father passed away on a buying trip in Italy he was left to assist his mother in raising the family and running the stores. Upon his mother contracting an unknown illness Basil began to pray to St Raymond to save his mothers life, and his prayers were answered. With the answering of their prayers they chose to honor St Raymond by building a chapel in his honor. Only a small wood framed structure, this chapel would grow over the years and be expanded to house the family as well as multiple alters to various saints and beautiful gardens tended by the family.
For decades it was known for its public St. Joseph's Day altar displays. Closed and vacant at the start of the 21st century, it was in the area flooded by the Hurricane Katrina levee failue disaster in 2005. It decayed further afterwards as home of squatters, and was demolished in September 2008.
Media in category "Chapel and Hermitage of Saint Raymond and Our Lady of Good Help"
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.