The Chicago Club was founded in 1869, and had several rented clubhouses before putting up their first building on Monroe Street in 1876. The building at 400 South Michigan Avenue at Van Buren was built in 1886-87 and was designed by Burnham & Root for the Art Institute of Chicago. When the Institute moved across the street in 1892, the building was bought by the Chicago Club as their fifth clubhouse, and served as that until it collapsed during remodelling in the 1920s. A new building was constructed on the site in 1929, designed by Granger and Bollenbacher in the Romanesque Revival style, and the Burham & Root triple-arched entrance was retained, but moved around the corner, to 81 East Van Buren Street. The building was listed on the NRHP on February 28, 2005. (Source: "About the Club" on the Chicago Club website])
This is a category about a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America. Its reference number is
building in Illinois, United States
|Heritage designation|| |
Media in category "Chicago Club"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- Chicago Club (7179210297).jpg 2,434 × 3,118; 2.99 MB
- Chicago Club 81 East Van Buren Street.jpg 1,459 × 1,913; 712 KB
- Chicago Club crop.jpg 3,363 × 3,318; 1.95 MB
- Chicago Club.jpg 508 × 399; 170 KB
- Farnam mansion.PNG 510 × 710; 402 KB
- Fine Arts Building & Chicago Club.jpg 1,170 × 1,726; 275 KB
- Fred at The Chicago Club (1490415765).jpg 669 × 768; 49 KB
- Fred speaking at The Chicago Club (1490413077).jpg 1,024 × 722; 122 KB
- Fred speaking at The Chicago Club (1490414637).jpg 1,024 × 685; 75 KB
- MJR 20130604 0989-2559536375-O.jpg 4,592 × 3,448; 9.52 MB