Category:Church, 935 N Dearborn Street (Chicago)
English: This church building, originally named Unity Church, was first erected from 1867 to 1869 after a design by Theodore Vigo Wadskier. The church was also nicknamed after its then reverend Robert Collyer as Collyer's Church (aka Collier's Church). The 1871 Great Fire took all of the wooden portions of the church, leaving only the limestone structure to survive. The building is touted as one of Chicago's grandest Joliet limestone churches. Dankmar Adler, of Burling & Adler (Chicago), was commissioned to rebuild the church, completed in 1873, using parts of the church ruins, but altering e.g. the north tower's spire. Adler gained his first experience in acoustical design when rebuilding the church. In 1882 Frederick B. Townsend erected the south tower, also with an altered spire. Between 1903 and 1912 the building was known as the Medina Temple, freemasonic lodge. In 1910 the church was sold to a freemasonic lodge which renamed the church the Scottish Rite Cathedral. In 2005 a real estate developer bought the church building and neighbouring sites. After a prize-winning refurbish until 2009 the church building currently houses the Harvest Bible Chapel.
Media in category "Church, 935 N Dearborn Street (Chicago)"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- COLBERT(1871) p136 UNITY CHURCH.jpg 1,775 × 2,241; 2.03 MB
- Never and Now Clark & Walton (84433621).jpg 2,391 × 3,651; 5.44 MB
- Collier's (Collyer's) Church, by P. B. Greene.jpg 2,737 × 1,398; 1.38 MB
- Collyer's Church, by P. B. Greene.jpg 2,737 × 1,420; 1.5 MB
- Collyer's Church, by P. B. Greene.png 2,737 × 1,420; 4.93 MB
- Collier's (Collyer's) Church, by P. B. Greene.png 2,737 × 1,398; 4.62 MB
- Front entrance to Unity Church, by Bowman, W. E. (William Emory), 1834-1915.jpg 2,737 × 1,387; 1.36 MB
- Front entrance to Unity Church, by Bowman, W. E. (William Emory), 1834-1915.png 2,737 × 1,387; 4.59 MB
- New England and Unity Churches, looing north on Dearborn Street, by Lovejoy & Foster.jpg 2,737 × 1,586; 1.69 MB
- Ruins of Chicago - Unity Church, from Robert N. Dennis collection of stereoscopic views.jpg 2,737 × 1,355; 1.58 MB