Category:Colony of Connecticut
English: The Colony of Connecticut was an English colony located in British America that became the U.S. state of Connecticut. Originally known as the River Colony, it was organized on March 3, 1636 as a haven for Puritan noblemen. After early struggles with the Dutch, the English gained control of the colony permanently by the late 1630s. The colony was later the scene of a bloody war between the English and Indians, known as the Pequot War. It played a significant role in the establishment of self-government in the New World with its legendary refusal to surrender local authority to the Dominion of New England, an event known as the Charter Oak incident.
former colony in North America, part of Great Britain
|Instance of||crown colony|
|Part of||New England Colonies|
|Dissolved, abolished or demolished date|
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Media in category "Colony of Connecticut"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- Charter for Collegiate School later Yale College 1701.jpg 1,536 × 1,042; 231 KB
- Charter of the Colony of Connecticut.pdf 1,197 × 829, 10 pages; 995 KB
- Connecticut claims.svg 512 × 374; 227 KB
- Connecticut General Assembly 1760 Order.jpg 1,249 × 1,918; 997 KB
- Ctcolony.png 1,428 × 1,000; 817 KB
- Jeremy-adams-grave-marker.jpg 250 × 179; 45 KB
- Jonathan Trumbull engraving circa 1855.jpg 497 × 750; 51 KB
- Papers of the New Haven Colony Historical Society, v9.djvu 3,292 × 5,200, 500 pages; 16.7 MB
- Plan of the Colony of Connecticut, Moses Park, 1766.jpg 1,116 × 825; 220 KB
- The Annals or History of Yale College Thomas Clap 1766.jpg 336 × 500; 140 KB
- William-phelps-colonist-signature.gif 354 × 100; 28 KB