Category:Corfu (ship, 1931)
|Instance of|| cruise ship,|
|Yard number|| |
Source: Miramar Ship Index
- Type: Passenger ship
- Design by:
- Order date: 25.06.1930
- Built by: Alexander Stephen & Sons Glasgow
- Yard No: 534
- Keel laid: 09.09.1930
- Launch date: 20.05.1931
- Date of completion: 26.09.1931
- Length over all: 168.4 m
- LPP: m
- Beam: 21.8 m
- Draught: m
- GRT: 14,293
- DWT: 8909
- NET: 7812
- Main engine: 6x Parsons steam turbine 14000shp, single reduction
- Twin screw
- Speed: 18 kn
- 1931 Named: CORFU for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company London Flag: United Kingdom
- 14.09.1939 Requisitioned by the Admiralty for service in the Royal Navy
- 15.09.1939 Start conversion at Harland and Wolff Ltd. After funnel removed and converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser
- 10.07.1940 Struck by the aircraft carrier HMS HERMES when escorting a convoy leaving Freetown, resulting in a 30 foot long hole in her starboard bow. Towed stern-first back into Freetown for emergency repairs.
- 17.01.1941 Left Freetown for Calcutta for permanent repairs.
- 08.09.1941 Repairs completed. Convoy and escort duty in the Indian Ocean.
- 1944 Converted into a troopship
- 1947 Returned to P&O
- 24.03.1961 Sold to Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Japan for demolition Renamed CORFU MARU for her delivery voyage to Japanese breakers.
- 17.10.1961 Scrapped by Miyachi Salvage Co Ltd, at Osaka, Japan.
Media in category "Corfu (ship, 1931)"
The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.
- RMS Corfu SLV Green.jpg 707 × 495; 45 KB
- HMS Corfu 1943 IWM A 16365.jpg 776 × 579; 42 KB
- P & O Corfu 1956.jpg 1,604 × 1,016; 350 KB
- RMS CORFU under tow in Sydney Cove (9348646698).jpg 2,650 × 2,126; 168 KB
- RMS-SS Corfu.jpg 450 × 295; 59 KB