Category:Daisy Greville, Countess of Warwick
Daisy Greville, Frances Evelyn Maynard (1861-1938), Countess of Warwick from 1893, was wife to Francis Greville, Lord Brooke (m.1881). Daisy Greville, sole beneficiary of the Maynard fortune, and of Easton Lodge, Little Easton, Essex, was an English courtesan, socialite and businesswoman.
She later turned champagne socialist and from 1912 acted as leader of the 'Warwick Circle' at Easton Lodge, often based around garden parties and largely dedicated to a reinvention of supposed folk traditions and dialect plays, this for the benefit of local lower classes, under the banner of the Dunmow and District Progressive Club, and performed at Lady Warwick's Barn Theatre at Little Easton. Daisy commented on the enterprise with: "We shall be a little group of the Salt of the Earth in the Dunmow District soon!" Conrad Noel, the 'Red Vicar', was a critical supporter stating that this "...smacked of [the] Bloomsbury" set. Those who contributed and gravitated to be entertained in the 'Warwick Circle' were fellow socialist political proponents and literary figures, including H. G. Wells, Lancelot and Hugh Cranmer-Byng (playwrights and scions of Torrington baronetcy), Samuel Levy Bensusan (dialect playwright and writer), Ramsay MacDonald, J. W. Robertson Scott, H. A. Gwynne, Sir Walter Gilbey, Henry De Vere Stacpoole, J. M. Barrie, George Bernard Shaw, Cecil Sharp, Arnold Bennett, and Harold Munro (poet).
Sourced from "The Dunmow Progressives" by Victor Gray in Essex Heritage, ed. Kenneth Neale, (Leopard's Head Press 1992), pp.285-302.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Easton Lodge, Little Easton (1 C, 19 F)
Media in category "Daisy Greville, Countess of Warwick"
The following 25 files are in this category, out of 25 total.
- Frances Evelyn Maynard 'Daisy' Greville, Countess of Warwick (1879).jpg 725 × 923; 531 KB
- Frances Evelyn Maynard 'Daisy' Greville, Countess of Warwick (1880s).jpg 300 × 450; 143 KB
- 'Daisy' Greville, Frances Evelyn Maynard, Countess of Warwick (1889).jpg 583 × 822; 362 KB
- 'Daisy' Greville, Countess of Warwick in The Harmsworth Magazine.jpg 991 × 1,501; 843 KB
- 'Daisy' Greville, Frances Evelyn Maynard, Countess of Warwick (1890).jpg 722 × 860; 468 KB
- Daisy Greville 2.jpg 650 × 784; 278 KB
- Daisy Greville2.jpg 600 × 827; 72 KB
- Daisy Greville, Countess of Warwick.jpg 600 × 851; 99 KB
- Daisy Greville.jpg 650 × 806; 61 KB
- Sargent - Countess of Warwick and Son.jpg 502 × 900; 51 KB
- Countess WarwickSon1906.jpg 700 × 900; 57 KB
- Daisy, Countess of Warwick by H. Walter Barnett.jpg 1,290 × 1,740; 944 KB
- Daisy, Countess of Warwick by H. Walter Barnett.png 1,290 × 1,740; 3.98 MB
- Lady Warwick and her Son, 1905, by John Singer Sargent (1856-1925) - IMG 7164.JPG 2,448 × 3,264; 2.3 MB