Category:Destroyer escorts of the United States
English: This category covers the destroyer escorts of the United States. Other navies classified these ships as "frigates". From the 1950s to the 1970s, the United States Navy commissioned ships classed as "frigates" (DL/DLG) which were actually roughly mid-way in size between cruisers and destroyers. This was similar to the use of the term "frigate" during the age of sail during which it referred to a medium-sized warship, but it was inconsistent with conventions used by other contemporary navies which regarded frigates as being smaller than destroyers. During the 1975 ship reclassification, the large U.S. Navy frigates were redesignated as cruisers or destroyers, while destroyer escorts were renamed as frigates (FF).
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Buckley class destroyer escorts (10 C, 44 F)
- ► Dealey class destroyer escorts (13 C)
- ► John C. Butler class destroyer escorts (8 C, 25 F)
- ► Rudderow class destroyer escorts (2 C, 9 F)
- ► World War II destroyer escorts of the United States (5 C, 2 F)
Media in category "Destroyer escorts of the United States"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- USS Tacoma (PF-3).jpg 96 KB