Category:Ena (ship, 1911)
- Type: Pax+Ferry/Launch'Tug
- Design by: McKechnie, C.
- Order date: 1910 commissioned by Mayor of Brisbane John Hetherington. Contract price £3880.
- Built by: Binnie, W.S., Kangaroo Point, Brisbane, Qld, Australia
- Yard No:
- Material: 3/8" riveted steel on reverse frames
- Keel laid:
- Launch date: 11.10.1911 at Peter's Slip before the Mayor and altermen of the Council
- Date of completion:
- Length over all: 20.7 m
- LPP: m
- Beam: 4.6 m
- Draught: 1.8 m
- GRT: 40
- Sail area:
- Main engine: Steam C.2Cy.9" &14"-12"
- Boilers/Gearing: 1x Scotch
- Propulsion: Screw single
- Speed: kn
- 03.04.1911 Meeting of the City Council, Ferries and Baths Committee recommended name of Ena which was the name of ex. Mayor Hetherington's daughter.
- 11.10.1911 Named: ENA by Miss Ena Hetherington, daughter of the Alderman Hetherington, took 2 minutes to induce the hull to move, for Brisbane Municipal Council
- Ready in six or eight weeks, to have a carrying capacity of 180 and to seat 85, fore end to be encloded for some 22' with car windows as a ladies cabin. Built for the service between Edward St and Thornton St.
- 19.09.1912 Trial trip with Mayor and Mayoress and several aldermen, left Edward St and went upstream as far as Oxley Creek.
- 1912-1926 Ferry across Brisbane River to city.
- 02.04.1914 Reported to be fitted with new stern designed by Walter Reeks, had previously been not quick enough in starting from the wharves, should be able to make many more trips in a day.
- 1921 Overhaul.
- 02.1926 Replaced by mv Balmoral (qv) on Edward St service.
- Sold to Riverside Coal Transport Pty Ltd
- 19.11.1928 Registered as tug on Brisbane River.
- 1935 with minimal modifications, used by new owner as a lines launch for coal barges from the West Moreton coal fields steaming down the Bremer and Brisbane River with coal to service power stations and shipping.
- Sold to Riverside Marine
- 1951 Altered and converted to motor tug, 325bhp diesel. 3t bollard pull.
- 1967 Refitted, fitted with new motor, 365bhp@1800rpm Caterpillar D343 diesel, 4.5:1 reduction.
- 1976, 1982 &1986 barge tug on Brisbane River.
- 1996 Withdrawn from service, laid up at company mooring.
- 2002 Sold to Steamboat Ena Trust
- 2003 Engines removed, gutted in preparation to refit as a purpose-designed authentic Edwardian passenger carrying steamboat for operations on the Brisbane River and Moreton Bay. *2007 Sold to Terry Paton Owner planned to restore.
- 2008 Sold to Warwick
- 01.02.2008 Arrived at Echuca by truck from Brisbane.
- 2010 Bare hull at Echuca under restoration, to be returned to steam.
- 2011 Warwick Turner has copies of original drawings.
- Sold to Jonathan & Hamish Turner
- 21.02.2011 Sighted ashore on owner's property at Echuca.
Media in category "Ena (ship, 1911)"
This category contains only the following file.