|This object is indexed in the Archaeological Survey of Ireland under SMR No. CL033-082001-
Geographic information system of the National Monuments Service: Historic Environment Viewer – Database record.
|This object is indexed in the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage of Ireland under the registration number 20000142
Geographic information system of the National Monuments Service: Historic Environment Viewer – Main record.
English: Ennis Friary was founded as house of Franciscan friaries c. 1240 by Donnchadh Ua Briain, king of Thomond, and substantially rebuilt by his successor, Toirdelbach Ua Briain, c. 1284. The monastery was officially dissolved in 1543 but the friars remained in Ennis. The medieval friary was returned by the Church of Ireland to the Franciscan order in 1969. See pp. 249 in Aubrey Gwynn and R. Neville Hadcock: Medieval Religious Houses Ireland, and pp. 121 in Patrick Conlan: Franciscan Ireland.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► MacMahon Tomb, Ennis (10 F)
Media in category "Ennis Friary"
The following 63 files are in this category, out of 63 total.
- Ennis Abbey1.JPG 1.35 MB
- Ennis Abbey2.JPG 1.34 MB
- Ennis Abbey3.JPG 1.27 MB
- Ennis Abbey4.JPG 1.27 MB
- Ennis Abbey5.JPG 1.36 MB
- Ennis Abbey6.JPG 1.35 MB
- Ennis Abbey7.JPG 1.29 MB
- Ennis Friary (2007).jpg 1.72 MB
- Ennis Friary 01.jpg 1.3 MB
- Ennis Friary 011.jpg 81 KB
- Ennis Friary 02.jpg 1.21 MB
- Ennis Friary 03.jpg 1.07 MB
- Ennis Friary JK.jpg 1.73 MB
- Ennis Friary Nave 2015 09 03.jpg 5.11 MB
- Ennis Friary SE 2015 09 03.jpg 4.34 MB
- ENNIS Friary, DSC 4453.jpg 1.24 MB
- ENNIS Friary, DSC 4454,.jpg 1.27 MB
- ENNIS Friary, DSC 4454.jpg 1.08 MB
- ENNIS FRIARY, DSC 4455.jpg 1.1 MB
- ENNIS Friary, DSC 4457.jpg 1.07 MB
- ENNIS Friary, DSC 4459.jpg 1.06 MB
- ENNIS Friary,. DSC 4464-2.jpg 1.23 MB
- Ennis Friary.jpg 938 KB
- Ennis Friary1.jpg 68 KB