Category:External hard drive
An external hard drive sits outside the main computer tower in its own enclosure. The enclosure is slightly larger than the hard drive itself, and sometimes contains a cooling fan. This portable encasement allows the user to store information on a hard drive that is not inside the computer, but rests on a tabletop or surface nearby the computer. The external hard drive is connected to the computer via a high-speed interface cable. The interface cable allows the external hard drive to communicate with the computer so that data may be passed back and forth. The most common types of interfaces are USB and Firewire.
A portable or external hard drive is quite a useful piece of equipment. It allows the user to back up or store important information separate from the main internal hard drive, which could become compromised by online or offline activities. Sensitive documents, large music files, DVD images, movies, disk images, and even a backup of the contents of your main internal hard drive, can all be kept securely and safely on an external hard drive. When you are online, you can even leave the external drive turned off.
Another advantage of an external hard drive is that it is portable and operates on a plug-and-play basis. Any computer with USB or Firewire capability will recognize the external hard drive as a storage device, and assign it a letter to designate it. The drive can then be accessed like a normal internal hard drive. It's a snap to transfer huge files back and forth from work to home, to a friend's house, or between your desktop and laptop. Just plug in the interface cable to quickly reconstruct a working environment, making your favorite programs virtually portable
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Media in category "External hard drive"
The following 57 files are in this category, out of 57 total.
- AMSIhdd.jpg 148 KB
- Buffalo HD-H250U2.jpg 137 KB
- Circuito Rack Disco Duro.JPG 2.16 MB
- D2 poulton coq.jpg 16 KB
- Datawalker black.JPG 23 KB
- Datawalker LA18 TOP10.jpg 1.53 MB
- Datawalker LA18.jpg 2.19 MB
- Disk enclosure 2.5 a.jpg 130 KB
- External Hard Disk.JPG 1.08 MB
- External hard drives.jpg 1.45 MB
- Externalsamsung.jpg 2.65 MB
- Hdd-154463.svg 59 KB
- Iomega 500gb.JPG 2.97 MB
- Orb Drive EXSCSI Front.jpg 566 KB
- Removable-hard-drive.jpg 716 KB
- Removable1.png 2.05 MB
- Removable2.png 2.36 MB
- Removable3.png 1.92 MB
- Samsung 500gb usb drive.jpg 2.76 MB
- SCSI HDD (5492328342).jpg 4.39 MB
- Seagate 6gb.jpg 2.38 MB
- Typical External Hard Drive.JPG 5.42 MB
- USB Case for HDD ATA.jpg 905 KB
- USB-Hard-Drive.jpg 1.69 MB