English: Federal-style architecture is the classicizing architecture built in the United States between c. 1780 and 1830, particularly from 1785 to 1815. In the early Republic the founding generation consciously chose to associate the nation with the ancient democracies of Greece and the republican values of Rome. Grecian aspirations informed the Greek Revival, lasting into the 1850s. Using Roman architectural vocabulary, the Federal style applied to the balanced and symmetrical version of Georgian architecture that had been practiced in the American colonies new motifs of Neoclassical architecture as it was epitomized in Britain by Robert Adam, who published his designs in 1792.The classicizing manner of constructions and town planning undertaken by the federal government was expressed in federal projects of lighthouses and harbor buildings, hospitals and the rationalizing urbanistic layout of L'Enfant's Washington DC and in New York the Commissioners' Plan of 1811.
|Instance of||architectural style|
|Subclass of||Neoclassical architecture|
|Location||United States of America|
This category has the following 41 subcategories, out of 41 total.
- Federal architecture in Connecticut (10 C, 15 F)
- Federal architecture in Georgia (U.S. state) (3 C, 1 F)
- Houses in Kaukauna, Wisconsin (2 C, 5 F)
- Federal architecture in Kentucky (28 C, 117 F)
- Federal architecture in Louisiana (1 C, 1 F)
- Federal architecture in Ohio (37 C, 114 F)
- Federal architecture in Pennsylvania (30 C, 33 F)
- Federal architecture in Rhode Island (5 C, 9 F)
- Federal architecture in South Carolina (11 C, 3 F)
- Federal architecture in Utah (1 C, 1 F)
Media in category "Federal architecture"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Confirmation -1989 20190309 105747.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 2.58 MB
- Confirmation 20190309 1.jpg 4,032 × 3,024; 7.27 MB
- Courtyard of the Thurgood Marshall Building.jpg 1,440 × 960; 301 KB
- Embroidered Sampler MET 203875.jpg 631 × 492; 85 KB
- Hovenden House from SW 2016.JPG 1,961 × 1,548; 1.97 MB
- Junction of Goshen and Providence Roads.png 2,350 × 2,350; 8.22 MB
- PENNROSE RITTENHOUSE CORNERSTONE MCMXXVII DULY AND TRULY LAID 3.jpg 3,024 × 4,032; 3.09 MB