Category:Fletcher Free Library
The Fletcher Free Library at 253 College Street at the corner of S. Winooski Avenue in Burlington, Vermont was established in 1873 but outgrew its initial building on Church Street by 1901. A new building was constructed in 1901-04 with funds provided by industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It was designed in the Beaux-Arts style by Walter R. B. Willcox of Burlington, who won a competition to receive the commission. The building had major settling problems in 1973 where it had been built over a former railroad ravine, which had been improperly filled in, and the collection was moved elsewhere. The possible razing of the building was stopped by a citizens' committee which successfully had it added to the National Register of Historic Places, and a grant allowed the stabilization and repair of the building. A new addition was completed in 1981. (Sources:  and )
Media in category "Fletcher Free Library"
The following 5 files are in this category, out of 5 total.