Category:Forceful (tugboat, 1925)
|Information about the vessel may be found at IMO 5117559.
A ship can change name and flag state through time, but the IMO number remains the same through the hull's entire lifetime. As a result, it can be useful to identify a ship by using the IMO number.
- Design by:
- Order date:
- Built by: Alexander Stephen & Sons Ltd of Govan, Glasgow, Scotland
- Yard No:
- Keel laid:
- Launch date: 20.11.1925
- Date of completion:
- Length over all: 36.88 m
- LPP: m
- Beam: 8.26 m
- Draught: 4.08 m
- GRT: 288
- Sail area:
- Main engine: 1 triple expansion steam engine with 3 cylinders and 2 single ended boilers each with 2 furnaces producing an indicated 1050 HP. Working pressure - 175 psi (1205.75 Kpa)
- Speed: 13 kn
- Bunker Capacities: 103 tons of coal and 78 tons of water.
- Coal Consumption: Approximately 10 tons per day
- 1926 Named: FORCEFUL for the predecessors of Queensland Tug Company Pty Ltd Flag: Australaia
- 21.12.1925 Departed Glasgow
- 07.03.1926 Arrived in Brisbane. Employed mainly in the Brisbane River.
- 16.02.1942 Commissioned as HMAS FORCEFUL Worked around Fremantle
- 10.1942 Sailed for Darwin. From October, 1942 to August, 1943, engaged in harbour work around Darwin, towed lighters to Merauke in Dutch New Guinea and, on occasions, acted as a rescue vessel for aircraft and crews returning from bombing missions.
- 08.1943 Towed a landing ship to Brisbane
- 11.10.1943 Paid off and returned to her owners.
- 01.1964 Becoming the last coal-burning tug on the river. With the more efficient diesel engined tugs, Forceful's work gradually decreased, with frequent periods when she was idle.
- 28.09.1970 Retired from service.
- 10.06.1971 Handed over to the Queensland Maritime Museum Association and started to be a museum ship. Since that time she has remained a working part of Brisbane's heritage, steamed and maintained by the dedicated members of the Association, purely on a voluntary basis. However, the cost of maintaining her sea-worthiness has become beyond the resources of the Museum and she will be maintained as a floating exhibit at her wharf.
Media in category "Forceful (tugboat, 1925)"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.