Category:Fort Tryon Park
Fort Tryon Park was created when philanthropist John D. Rockefeller, Jr. began to buy up the county estates in the area where the Battle of Washington Heights was fought in the Revolutionary War, in order to create a park. He engaged Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. of the Olmsted Brothers firm to design the park (James W. Dawson created the planting plan), and gave it to the city in 1931; the park was completed in 1935. Rockefeller also gave to the Metropolitan Museum of Art a collection of medieval art, and the museum built The Cloisters in the park to house it, completing it in 1939. The park extends from West 190th Street to Dyckman Street and from Broadway to Riverside Drive/West Side Highway. The main entrance to the part is at Margaret Corbin Circle, at the intersection of Fort Washington Avenue and Cabrini Boulevard. The park was added to the NRHP in 1978 and was designated a NYC Scenic Landmark in 1983. (Sources: Guide to NYC Landmarks (4th ed.) and AIA Guide to NYC (5th ed.))
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Fort Tryon Park flagstaff (2 F)
- ► Fort Tryon Park Gazebo (3 F)
- ► Views from Fort Tryon Park (8 F)
Media in category "Fort Tryon Park"
The following 50 files are in this category, out of 50 total.
- 2014 Fort Tryon Park benches.jpg 2.42 MB
- 2014 Fort Tryon Park tour.jpg 1.87 MB
- Fort Tryon Linden Terrace.jpg 1.52 MB
- Fort Tryon Park Entrance.JPG 7.83 MB
- Fort Tryon Park- Fall 2013.jpg 2.19 MB
- Fort Tryon Park.JPG 7.84 MB
- FortTryon jb.jpg 187 KB
- FortTryonPark.jpg 559 KB
- FortTryonParkArch.jpg 2.23 MB
- FtTryonPk.JPG 110 KB
- Minstrel at Fair.jpg 569 KB