Open main menu

Category:Gallen Priory

Coat of arms of Ireland.svg
This object is indexed in the Archaeological Survey of Ireland under SMR No. OF014-029008-
Geographic information system of the National Monuments Service: Historic Environment ViewerDatabase record.

Deutsch | English | français | italiano | македонски | +/−
Coat of arms of Ireland.svg
This object is indexed in the Archaeological Survey of Ireland under SMR No. OF014-029001-
Geographic information system of the National Monuments Service: Historic Environment ViewerDatabase record.

Deutsch | English | français | italiano | македонски | +/−
English: Gallen Priory was an early Christian monastic site, founded by St. Canoc c. 492, which adopted the Arroasian observance in the midth of the 12th century, and which was dissolved c. 1585, and for some time period reoccupied in the 17th century. Most of the early Christian remainings of the 8th to 11th century were excavated by Kendrick in 1934–1935 and later arranged in an rectangle with two walls at the eastern and western ends and an information panel. The ruins of the Augustinian priory are to be found south of the early site. (See entry 657 in Caimin O'Brien and P. David Sweetman: Archaeological Inventory of County Offaly, ISBN 0-7076-3819-4.)

Media in category "Gallen Priory"

The following 17 files are in this category, out of 17 total.