Category:HMS Unicorn (ship, 1824)
- Designed as Leda class frigate, 150 feet long in the hull and armed with 46 guns. Their lines were based on a French frigate, the Hébé, captured in 1782.
- Keel laid in February 1822 on No. 4 slip in the Royal Dockyard at Chatham
- Launched on 30th March 1824
- 1824 Named HMS Unicorn Roofed over immediately and laid up in reserve
- 1857 to 1862 Lent to the War Department for use as a powder hulk at Woolwich
- 1862 Laid up again at Sheerness.
- November 1873 UNICORN sailed for Dundee in tow of HM Paddle Sloop SALAMANDER, conversion to a Drill Ship for the Royal Naval Reserve Berthed in the Earl Grey Dock
- 1906 Taken over by the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
- 1939 Renamed HMS Unicorn II, as the name Unicorn was given to a new aircraft carrier
- 1941 Renamed HMS Cressy as having two ships named UNICORN created great confusion with mail and drafting
- After World War II taken over by the Royal Naval Reserve. During both World Wars she played an important part as the Area Headquarters of the Senior Naval Officer, Dundee.
- 1959 Renamed HMS Unicorn by Mrs. Keay, widow of Captain W. F. Keay who had commanded UNICORN throughout the war, after the aircraft carrier had been scrapped
- 1961 The Admiralty decided that the ship should be scrapped. At the last moment, Captain Anderson, a former Captain of Unicorn, succeeded in having this decision changed
- 1962 Moved down river to a new berth
- 1967 Captain Stewart started a move to ensure her permanent preservation
- 1968 Formation of the Unicorn Preservation Society, chaired by Lord Dalhousie
- 26th September, 1968, Prince Philip accepted HMS Unicorn from the Navy on behalf of the newly formed Society.
Media in category "HMS Unicorn (ship, 1824)"
The following 20 files are in this category, out of 20 total.