English: The original ʻIolani Palace was originally named Hale Aliʻi meaning (House of the Chiefs). The original one story wooden building called Hanailoia was built in July 1844, only one-third the floor area of the present palace.
- Mataio Kekūanāoʻa, who was long-time Royal Governor of Oʻahu, built it for his daughter Princess Victoria Kamāmalu.
- It was purchased by King Kamehameha III from Kamāmalu (the King's niece) when he moved his capital from Lahaina to Honolulu in 1845. Kekūanāoʻa built his own house directly to the west, and Kekāuluohi built hers to the south near the Pohukaina mausoleum.
- It was constructed as a traditional aliʻi residence with only ceremonial spaces, no sleeping rooms. It just had a throne room, a reception room, and a state dining room, with other houses around for sleeping and for retainers.
- Kamehameha III slept in a cooler grass hut around the palace. He called his home Hoʻihoʻikea in honor of his restoration after the Paulet Affair of 1843.
Media in category "Hale Aliʻi"
The following 25 files are in this category, out of 25 total.