English: High Westwood is a village in County Durham, in England. It is situated a few miles to the north of Consett, near Ebchester and Hamsterley. Once a thriving village, due to the local coalmining, it is now little more than a few private houses, and the former old infant school is now a housing complex. The village is surrounded by countryside and the once railway line is now part of a country walkway. Like many small villages after the coalmines were shut, the village disappeared. In the nearby woodland you can still see deer, red squirrels, and beautiful glades of bluebells.
Media in category "High Westwood"
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- High Westwood station site geograph-3676706-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg 2,396 × 1,460; 3.18 MB
- Road to Ebchester from High Westwood - geograph.org.uk - 346420.jpg 640 × 426; 121 KB
- Tree on Cut Throat Lane - geograph.org.uk - 346430.jpg 640 × 426; 118 KB
- Trees and bushes near Black Byerside wood - geograph.org.uk - 346441.jpg 640 × 426; 139 KB
- Trees, fence and field near High Westwood - geograph.org.uk - 346413.jpg 640 × 426; 126 KB