English: An ice core is a core sample that is typically removed from an ice sheet, most commonly from the polar ice caps of Antarctica, Greenland or from high mountain glaciers elsewhere. As the ice forms from the incremental build up of annual layers of snow, lower layers are older than upper, and an ice core contains ice formed over a range of years.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Media in category "Ice cores"
The following 31 files are in this category, out of 31 total.
- Epica-dml end hg.jpg 452 KB
- GISP2 team photo core37.jpeg 446 KB
- GISP2D1837 crop.jpg 7.85 MB
- GISP2D1837.jpg 9.54 MB
- Ice thin-section awi.jpg 512 KB
- Ice-core drill hg.jpg 621 KB
- Icecore 4.jpg 517 KB
- Icecore 4x.jpg 20 KB
- Icecore-thinsection awi.jpg 508 KB
- Lake Vostok drill 2011.jpg 550 KB
- NICL Freezer.jpg 1.64 MB
- Vostok drilling hun.jpg 16 KB
- Vostoksjøen diagram.jpg 20 KB